Simple and professional sharpening results
The Edge Pro Professional sharpening system is a professional sharpening system that comes complete, in a sturdy carrying case. The Professional Kits are extremely well made and optimized for intensive use. The principle of sharpening is similar to the Apex models. The differences can be found for example in the materials used and the options for sharpening angles that you can choose. The sharpening angle is adjustable between 13 and 25 degrees with colored marked dots for the most common angles.
The Edge Pro Professional Kit consists of a solid metal base with suction cup that can be secured very stable on any smooth surface. The other parts of this system are also heavy and well made. It is a pleasure to sharpen your knives with this. Also scissors can be sharpened perfectly with a special adapter.
After the system is set up, you lay your knife against the metal plate on the table of the system and sharpen quickly by moving the sharpening stone, which is clamped in the sharpening guide, back and forth over the edge. Several sharpening stones are available, ranging from very coarse (to restore the edge on a very blunt knife) to polishing tape for a mirror smooth finish of a sharp knife.
Differences between the Professional Kit 1, 2, 3 and 4
The Edge Pro Professional sharpening systems are all identical. The sets differ only in the included accessories. The differences are listed below.
Determining the correct sharpening angle
|Pro Kit 1 ||Pro Kit 2 ||Pro Kit 3 ||Pro Kit 4|
|Sharpening system ||X||X||X||X|
|Sharpening stone, grit 120 ||-||-||X||X|
|Sharpening stone, grit 220 ||X||X||X||X|
|Sharpening stone, grit 400 ||X||X||X||X|
|Sharpening stone, grit 600 ||-||X||X||X|
|Sharpening stone, grit 1000 ||-||-||X||X|
|Aluminum plates for polishing tapes ||-||-||X||X|
|Polijsttapes korrel 2000 ||-||-||X||X|
|Polishing tapes grit 3000 ||-||-||X||X|
|Polishing tapes grit 6000 ||-||-||-||X|
|Ceramic sharpening rod (26 cm) ||-||X||X||X|
|Adapter for sharpening scissors ||-||-||-||X|
|Micro fibre cloth ||X||X||X||X|
|Spray bottle ||X||X||X||X|
|Plastic case ||X||X||X||X|
|Instruction DVD ||X||X||X||X|
Of course it is wise to study the manual, but everything works very logically. You set up the sharpening angle by setting the conductor of the sharpening stone to the correct height. Colored stripes help in finding the correct sharpening angle. If the lower dash, black, is just visible above the black cube with which the conductor is mounted, the sharpening angle is 25 degrees. If you remember that the difference between each dash is 2 degrees, you never have to double check which dash is the perfect one for you.
You can determine the sharpening angle in different ways. The manufacturer, in many cases information, find there are tables with different knives available and of course there are general guidelines for different types of knives. It is also possible to use a permanent marker to put on a line of the folding of the blade, and a gently with a possible sharpening angle slightly to grind. The missing part of the line you can see the marker or the angle is correct or needs to be larger or smaller.
Positioning your knife
To sharpen, lay your knife against the metal plate that you have to adjust, so the edge of the knife hangs freely in the air. With a smaller knife, you can sharpen the full length of the knife without having to move it. A large knife will have to be relocated. But because it is not clamped, that goes fast and convenient. As with any sharpening method, you will need some practice to get the hang of it, but even the first knife you will get sharp without problems. And that doesn't work with just any sharpening system. It is important not to move your knife while you are sharpening.
A small spray bottle is included in delivery. You can easily keep the stone wet with this. Just use water or possibly a little soapy water. This way, the sharpening stones remain clean and in perfect condition.
At first glance, sharpening with the Edge Pro Professional doesn't seem without risk. After all, you grind towards the edge of your knife. Yet it is perfectly safe to sharpen with the Edge Pro. A plastic plug at both ends of the sharpening stone prevents overshooting. Your fingers stay at a safe distance of your sharp knife.
Grit size of Edge Pro sharpening stones
The sharpening stones of the Edge Pro sharpening system seem a bit coarse compared to our Naniwa sharpening stones. This is because there are several scales for the grit sizes of sharpening stones. An Edge Pro grit 400 is similar to a 800 by Naniwa. And a 1000 Edge Pro is like a 5000 Naniwa. If you consider that the polishing tapes go up to a grit size 6000, you understand that you can reach is a level of sharpness that is second to none.
Comparison table EdgePro versus Japanese water stone
The benefits and tips listed
|Edge Pro ||Japanese water stone |
|120 ||120 |
|220 ||700 |
|320 ||2000 |
|600 ||5000 |
|1000 ||8000 |
|1200 ||15000 |
|2000 (tape) ||10000 |
|3000 (tape) ||18000 |
|6000 (tape) ||20000 |
- The Edge Pro Professional is a complete and professional sharpening system that is still compact and easy to carry
- You sharpen every knife with a constant angle.
- You will not easily damage your knife. Tape can be used to prevent scratching. Cleaning of all components also reduces the risk of damage.
- A sturdy case is included so you can keep all the parts together
- Write down the sharpening angle of your knives. By always using the same sharpening angle, maintenance of your knife is quick and easy. Then you don't have to restore the v-shape.
- Use a marker to be able to see what material your grind away.
- No matter how simple the Edge Pro sharpening systems work, practice makes perfect. Practice sharpening first on an old knife, to be sure how everything works exactly. In particular, the steadying of the knife during sharpening is very important.
- Do not exercise too much pressure. Lighter is better. The sharpening stone should be doing the job and not the exercised force.
- Slightly dampen your work surface before mounting the Edge Pro Apex. Then the suction cups work extra well.
- Do you use polishing tapes to achieve the ultimate sharpness? You can use these dry. Or with a few drops of water, if you want.
- If you accidentally cut in the tape, you don't have to replace it right away. As long as they work, you can keep using them. Risk of cutting in the tape is much smaller when you polish toward the edge.
- The ceramic sharpening rod is not only ideal for removing the smallest burrs, but also for sharpening serrated knives.
- The whole sharpening system is easy to carry in the suitcase, but you can also choose to only bring the ceramic sharpening rod. For quick maintenance, this is almost always sufficient.
- Edge Pro Professional sharpening system
- Sharpening stones, grit size: 220 and 400 (dimensions: 159x25x6.5 mm, includes aluminum base plate)
- Micro fibre cloth
- Spray bottle
- Plastic suitcase, with fitted interior made of foam