The Lansky Deluxe Diamond Sharpening system is designed to give your knife a razor sharp edge, every single time. The patented Lansky system makes it easy to sharpen with a steady angle, which provides you with optimal results. You secure the knife in a clamp, where the guiding system provides a steady angle during sharpening. The Diamond Deluxe system contains diamond sharpening stones. The main advantage of this is that these do not wear out dissimilarly.
The sharpening angle
You can choose between four sharpening angles in the Lansky system. The angles are fixed, to ensure a steady angle during sharpening. To find out which angle you need for your knife, we suggest you ask the manufacturer of the knife. However, if the manufacturer doesn't have this information, you can figure out the correct angle yourself. This you use the so-called 'marker'-test. Use a waterproof marker to mark the fold of the blade then carefully sharpen a little bit with the most likely angle. The part of the marked line that is gone, indicates whether you have the correct angle, or whether this should be larger or smaller.
The Lansky system knows the following angles:
- 17 degree angle - mostly used for Japanese knives and razors. This angle provides an extremely sharp, yet vulnerable, edge.
- 20 degree angle - a usual setting for most knives with a high quality blade. A 20 degree sharpening angle is usually considered ideal for kitchen knives.
- 25 degrees angle - most knives which require a long term sharp edge, such as hunting knives and outdoor knives, are sharpened with this angle.
- 30 degree angle - knives which are used for heavy tasks, such as cutting rope or wood, stay sharp longer with this angle. This is advisable when you expose your knife to such harsh conditions.
Diamond stones will feel a little coarse in the beginning, but this will become smoother after some use. In this Lansky system, you always sharpen one side of the edge at a time. To sharpen the other side, you place the knife the other side around in the clamp. The 'honing oil' that is supplied with the set, is not used on the diamond stones. However, if you want to extend the set with finer, natural stones, you can use this for oiling the stones before and during use. This improves the sharpening result.
The sharpening system comes with four stones and an extensive manual, so you can start sharpening immediately.
Lansky sharpening system includes
- Lansky clamp
- Four guide rods
- One fine diamond stone, grit size 600
- One medium diamond stone, grit size 280
- One coarse diamond stone, grit size 120
- One extra coarse diamond stone, grit size 70
- Brush to clean the stones
- Plastic case for the Lansky sharpening system