High quality Japanese water stone, grain 8000.
Large format. Direct import and therefore super cheap!
Benefits of the Naniwa Snow White water stone:
Note: this water stone should not be kept in a container of water as this adversely affects the quality of the stone
- Los moisture absorption: after wetting the stone, you can immediately start sharpening
- Very high hardness prevents the knife from cutting into the stone. This also enables you to sharpen faster than with a stone made out of softer material
- Very long life span
- Large format stone. Works faster and easier than ordinary stones
About grit sizes
- Dimensions of the stone: 200 X 70 X 25 mm
- Grain: 8000
- Magnesium bound
- Abrasive: white aluminum oxide
- Weight: 820 grams
Sharpening stones are available in several grit (or grain) sizes. The higher the number, the finer the grit (or grain). The finer the grit, the sharper the result of sharpening.
When sharpening you always start with a coarse grain and then move on to a finer grain.
Important notice with the Snow white sharpening stone
- 200 to 600: These grains are suitable for putting the V-shape back on a dull knife
- 800 to 1000: Should be used for putting the edge back on knives which are in fairly good shape
- 2000 to 3000: To get the knife sharper then most knives are when leaving the factory
- 5000 to 10000: Suitable for polishing razor sharp edges on your knives
During the production process of these sharpening stones, the stones were bound with magnesium. This is a superior manufacturing method that provides amazing results. However, these magnesium-bound stones are more prone to developing hairline cracks. To avoid this it is important to hone the Snow White no longer than necessary to make wet. This stone does not need to be saturated with water. Therefore do NOT soak the stone before or after use! It is also important to dry these stones thoroughly after use and store them in a dry, dark place.